Why I teach music:
I teach music because music builds community. All children are innately musical and deserve the opportunity to experience the joy of making music together and the personal success of developing their own musicianship. Through providing the best music education possible I can enliven and strengthen a school community and transform students’ lives.
Classroom Structure:
I believe music is best taught with a non-traditional classroom set up in which the learning space is dynamic and ever changing. I set up my classroom to encourage students to move, sing and work in small and large groups. Children of all ages engage in student centered activities each day as they learn through playing, singing, moving and interacting with one another.
My Role:
My role in the music classroom is to introduce students to a broad range of musical skills, ideas and examples. I design activities to give students the tools they need to create and discover on their own. As a teacher, I set the tone for the creation of a supportive and collaborative classroom environment that encourages students to take ownership over their own creativity and musical growth.
Classroom Management:
I strive to create a safe, positive and productive classroom environment. My classroom expectations promote positive behavior and communicate clear consequences for negative behavior. I encourage my students to play a significant role in identifying standards for excellent classroom behavior. Further, class time is structured with daily routines that maximize learning time, keep students engaged and minimize opportunity for disruptive behavior.
Music Content:
Music curriculum is based upon national standards for music education and Illinois Learning Standards for the fine arts. A solid, sequential music curriculum is complimented by flexible, collaborative teaching to encourage students to draw connections between disciplines. I place emphasis on performance opportunities and encourage students to experience music in their greater community.
Community and Parent Involvement:
Parents and community members are essential partners in fostering musical growth in young students. I invite parents to participate and take on leadership in extra curricular activities, performances and field trips. I strive to personally engage parents in playing an active role in their child’s music education.
No comments:
Post a Comment